Friday, August 21, 2009

Practice would have been more competitive

As we suspected, we have a very good team. If KTA is representative, the competition, not so much. Beginning with the junior high game, continuing through the JV game and ending with the varsity, it was not even fun. Except for me, but I have a volleyball problem. If I have the JH scores correct, the cumulative score was 150-49. And this was with liberal substitutions and Ally setting and anything else the coaches could think of to keep the score down. I arrived after the JH match was over, but Kelsey reported to me that the scores were 25-10, 25-6. She told me it was that close only because of service errors on Calvary's part.

The JV game was even more lopsided, at least the first one. The final of the first game was 25-2, and the two that KTA got were from a service error and a hitting error by the Lady Patriots. I don't know if it was because KTA didn't get to practice much, but that's what it looked like. They were barely able to even touch the ball, much less return it over the net. The second game was a little better. KTA improved greatly from the first game, but the final was never in doubt. Calvary was up big again early, and then "hung on" to finish the match, 25-14.

The theme was continued in the varsity match. Calvary did not have two starters playing, yet still dominated the first game. As in the JV game, KTA had a hard time even touching a ball. For the match, Calvary had eighteen aces - I don't know how many were in the first game, but I believe Calvary got a majority of them in that game. Also as in the JV game, KTA seemed to wake up a little in the second, which made a little difference in the final score, which was 25-12.

Tomorrow is the trimatch at Grace. It was originally a quad, but Covenant dropped out. Out of fear, I suppose. Games are at 10 and 11:30. See you there.

No comments: